Sunday, April 04, 2010

My FREE Day At K-Mart and How I Did It.

It wasn't 8 a.m., as I promised everyone here on the blog, but a little after 9 a.m. that I arrived at K-Mart this morning to check out the truth of the double coupons up to $2.

I believe I might have been the very first customer! The only lane open was the customer service desk where the serious-sounding manager informed me that, yes, coupons were being doubled up to $2..

"You can only use five coupons once per day", she announced loud enough for the entire store to hear.

I assured her that I completely understood the rules as I trotted off to see what was in the bath and body area. (The first items to sell out on double coupon day.)

After about an hour of consultation between me and my five best coupons, I headed to the cashier with one bag of Ziploc steamers, one Johnson & Johnson roll of tape, one J&J first aide kit, two sets of Rubbermaid food containers (for one coupon), and one bottle of ALL Laundry detergent - all FREE with my coupons!

At the check-out, which had two lanes open and no customers, I selected a young lady whom I thought should be fair and know the rules.

To make a long story short, (a very long story), she didn't even know that K-Mart was having double coupons, and she didn't know how to enter ANY coupons into the computer. At least she didn't know how to make any of them double!

I believe that every employee in the store came over to 'assist' her except the manager who had told me all the rules!!! I calmly but firmly explained to all present how we used coupons, and how the store should accept them.

At one point, I asked to her cancel my order, and said that I would "walk around the store" until they could make their computers double my coupons. She was happy to agree.

After she (they) finally got my order to go through with only 41-cents owned on tax, I decided to 'test the rules' they didn't seem to know anything about (except, of course, for the manager).

After putting my little bag of five items that had taken me two hours to purchase out to the car, I returned to the store and made the second purchase of five 'free' items with the second cashier, who had forgotten everything I had taught her about using coupons!

By now, I knew how to tell her to enter my Rewards Card number and how to select the right item on her computer screen. I scanned each one to make sure it 'worked"!!!!

By George! I was on a roll!!!! I had decided if they couldn't enforce their own rules, I was going to ignore the rules until someone told me to stop!

I went back to New Albany and got my coupon friend who had been anxious to try her new coupon skills with me. Together we went back and got our five free items and used my Rewards Card NINE times!!!!!

During that time, we "won" two free items which we had to redeem at the Customer Service desk. By now, it was late afternoon and the morning manager going off duty. She was giving instructions to the afternoon shift.

"Now remember, customers have to use their Rewards Card and can only use five coupons in one day. Those Reward Cards will make sure they only go through line once a day with coupons."

I waited until she said goodbye to everyone, then walked up to the desk to claim my 2 oz of Purell that I had won.

After that, my friend and I went back through line two more times.

I would have been smarter to do like a couple I saw in the line next to me. They had a half a cart full of Gillette body wash, Shampoos, razors and more. I leaned over and asked her if she knew they had a five-limit rule.

The lady said they had gone online and printed out dozens of Rewards Cards and planned to use one for each set of five items at a time. She asked me if I thought it would work.

"Not without a hassle, but it might work," I answered.

Looking back when I was done, I saw they were letting her to just that. They were ringing up five items at a time - and judging from the long line of irate customers - I suspect it was going to take a very long time.

Even though it was getting late, I had one more stop. At Meijers I got hubby's favorite cereal, Honey Nut Cheerios, for about $1 a box, and I got Warm Delights for FREE.

At the "Do It Yourself" check-out lane, I ran the Warm Delights two at a time because Meijer will only double two alike coupons in one transaction.

Check in, pay nothing, check out.
Check in, pay nothing, check out.
Check in, pay nothing, check out...

Oh, but you should have seen my husband's face when I got home.

He handled each item like it was gold.

"You mean to tell me you got all this for free?", he asked incredulously, as he eyed the bags of grocery and personal items on the table.

He was ready to get in the car and go back for more.

"Not today", I said with a yawn.

My feet hurt!

Take Care on the Journey,
~Linda

HOME:
http://goldencoupons.blogspot.com/
email: pantry309@yahoo.com or bestnurse@usa.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB LINDA!!! Glad you got some good deals!! -Buffy