Sunday, February 08, 2009

We Don't Eat Canned Vegetables

This week I've been almost paranoid with an "almost free" store item at Kroger's using coupons. Kroger was promoting 'less-salt" Del Monte canned green beans, corn, peas, spinach, and mixed vegetables. The sale was 80-cents a can. But, I was alerted by a friend that the little black box next to them (called blinker boxes because sometimes they have a red blinking light) held 30-cent coupons that would be doubled at checkout AND Kroger would accept the cans even if they were not the reduced salt kind. That would bring the price per can down to 20-cents a can!

I expected the blinker coupons to be gone within a few hours, but most people thought you had to buy the reduced salt cans and were not interested in the item. So, every day or so I've gone over and collected a few more coupons and purchased more cans of our favorite peas, beans, and corn (plus a few others).

Yes, we do enjoy adding a side of canned veges out our meals, but the rest of the story is that as I was leaving the store I saw a lady about my age getting a cart. She made nice eye contact so I said, "Would you like to know about a really great deal on canned peas and corn?"

She smiled a little and said, "Thanks, but we don't eat canned vegetables."

Earlier this week, a friend told me she wants to save money by using coupons but would wait 'until it gets warmer'. Many just do not have the time to clip, sort, plan, and shop accordingly. I'm learning that people will be ready for coupon shopping when they are ready, and I don't mind who does and who doesn't. We all have reasons why we do or don't have certain habits. Part of me worries a little about bugging people when I talk about my coupon experiences.

That's why I decided to make this blog. If you pick up some little something that makes you happy, that's wonderful.

In the meantime, I'm thrilled to learn something new as I travel this journey of life.

Take Care on the Journey,
~Linda

Home: http://dustyangels.blogspot.com

No comments: